Marlboro Dutch Oven BirdsFrom circlemoon8 4 years ago
- 3 - 2 1/2 lb chickens (or pheasants) shopping list
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp black pepper shopping list
- 2-4 TBS each butter and cooking oil shopping list
- 2 lg onions, sliced shopping list
- 1 tart apple, cored and chopped shopping list
- 3/4 cup apple juice or cider shopping list
- 1 TBS cider vinegar shopping list
- 2-3 whole allspice shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 2 cups chicken broth or water shopping list
- 3 TBS cold water shopping list
- 1/4 cup heavy cream shopping list
How to make it
- Wash and dry chicken, removing fat as needed. Tie legs down for easier handling. Combine flour, salt and pepper; reserve 3 TBS flour mixture. sprinkle remaining mixture over birds and set aside.
- Heat butter and oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Brown one bird at a time, turning to cook all sides. Remove and keep warm while cooking other birds.
- Add onions and apple to the drippings in pan; cook slowly until tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Add apple juice, vinegar, allspice and bay leaf. Place chickens in Dutch oven; bring to a boil and cook until juice is almost gone. Add chicken broth; bring to a boil, cover and simmer until done, about 45 minutes.
- Remove chicken and keep warm. Discard bay leaf and allspice.
- Mix reserved seasoned flour with cold water; stir into cooking liquid. Add cream and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil until thickened.
- Serve chicken with sauce.
The Cookcirclemoon8 Mesa, Arizona
- Not added to any groups yet!