Penne Ala Vodka By Chef RobFrom oldinjun 3 years ago
- Ingredients shopping list
- 1 can (28 oz) whole peeled Italian plum tomatoes (I use San Marzano) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 1 small onion, minced shopping list
- 2 medium shallots, minced shopping list
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced pancetta bacon, chopped (opt) shopping list
- 1-cup green peas frozen or canned (opt) shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste (more or less) shopping list
- 1--6 oz can tomato paste (I use Hunt's or Muir Glen) shopping list
- 6 medium cloves garlic, minced or pressed through garlic press shopping list
- 1/2 cup vodka shopping list
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, at room temperature shopping list
- 1-pound penne pasta shopping list
- 1-tablespoon oregano shopping list
- 1-tablespoon sugar shopping list
- 2 tablespoons of fresh basil leaves, torn and shredded (1 tablespoon if dry) shopping list
- Freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, for serving shopping list
- salt & pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Drain tomatoes reserving liquid. Puree half of tomatoes in a blender or food processor until smooth (opt). Dice remaining tomatoes into 1/4-inch pieces. Combine both pureed and diced tomatoes in a measuring cup and add enough of reserved tomato liquid to equal 2 cups of tomatoes; set aside.
- Heat oil in large heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, shallots garlic, pancetta, pepper flakes. Sauté, stirring frequently about 3 minutes. Add tomato paste and sauté about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Important: Remove pot from heat and add vodka*. Return pan to heat and simmer over medium heat.
- Add the oregano and basil. Cook, stirring frequently, until alcohol cooks off and sauce thickens, about 15 minutes. Stir in peas and cream and simmer.
- Bring 4 quarts water to rapid boil in a large pot over high heat.
- Add 1-tablespoon salt to boiling water and drop in pasta. Cook, until al dente. Drain pasta well, reserving 1/4 cup cooking water.
- Return pasta to the Dutch oven and toss until pasta absorbs some of the sauce. Add reserved cooking water if sauce is too thick. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve with Parmigiano-Reggiano separately.
- For a more hearty meal add shrimp, chicken or Italian sausage.
The Cookoldinjun Pembroke Pines, FL
- Not added to any groups yet!