Sweet Potato & Gourd StewFrom sambalina 4 years ago
- 2 yams/sweet potatoes shopping list
- 1 gourd (butternut squash and/or pumpkin are my choice) shopping list
- veggies: (these are what i used but you can really just use any veggies you prefer.) shopping list
- 2 stalks celery shopping list
- 2 carrots shopping list
- 1/2 lb fresh okra shopping list
- 2 onions shopping list
- 1 parsnip shopping list
- 1 turnip shopping list
- handful fresh green beans shopping list
- 1 c corn shopping list
- meat: i used 1lb soy sausage. ground beef, turkey, or any type of sausage works as well shopping list
- stock: 1 to 2 cartons veggie broth shopping list
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (i used fire roasted hunts) shopping list
- 1 can tomato paste shopping list
- 1 bay leave shopping list
- 3/4 cup brown sugar shopping list
- 1/3 cup vinegar shopping list
- salt & pepper shopping list
- any other herbs to taste (dried herbs go in early, fresh herbs go in right before the stew is done) shopping list
How to make it
- half the yams and gourds. brush with olive oil and place face down on parchment paper on a cookie sheet, pricking the skin with a fork.
- bake for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees.
- in a big stock pot, toss in all your veggies and stock and bring to a simmer.
- brown your protein/meat in a skillet and add to the veggies & stock.
- once your yams and gourds are cooked and cooled enough to handle, peel the skins off and cut into chunks. add to the stock pot and simmer until tender and stock is thickened. toss in fresh herbs for the last 10 minutes of cooking.
The Cooksambalina Chicago, IL
- Not added to any groups yet!