Southern Style Biscuits N GravyFrom FavoriteFixins 5 years ago
- BISCUITS: shopping list
- 2 c. sifted all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 tbsp. sugar shopping list
- 4 tsp. baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/2 c. shortening shopping list
- 1 beaten egg shopping list
- 1/3 c. milk shopping list
- sausage GRAVY: shopping list
- 1/2 lb. bulk sausage shopping list
- 4 tbsp. all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 1/2 c. milk shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Sift together dry ingredients; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine egg and milk; add to flour mixture all at once. Stir until dough follows fork around bowl.
- Turn out on lightly floured surface; knead gently with heel of hand about 20 strokes. Roll dough to 3/4 inch thickness. Dip 2 inch biscuit cutter in flour; cut straight down through dough - no twisting.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet (3/4 inch apart for crusty biscuits, close together for soft sides). If desired, chill 1-3 hours. Bake in a very hot oven (450 degrees) 10-14 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cook sausage, crumbling well. Pour off all but 2-3 tablespoons of grease. Sprinkle flour on top. Increase heat to high and cook, stirring, until flour starts to brown. Add milk, stirring constantly and continue cooking until gravy thickens. Add salt and pepper. Serve over hot biscuits or toast.
- There are many brands of ready made biscuits out there, that will work really well, to make this dish.
- Using biscuit mix is also a great time saver, for drop biscuits.
The CookFavoriteFixins Daytona Beach, Florida
- Not added to any groups yet!