Potato And Leek SoupFrom ethoits 4 years ago
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled, quartered and diced shopping list
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled, quartered and diced shopping list
- 2 large leeks, cleaned and sliced shopping list
- 1 small yellow onion, roughly chopped shopping list
- 3/4 cup white wine shopping list
- 3/4 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated shopping list
- 1 quart chicken stock (or vegetable stock for a vegetarian version) shopping list
- 1 tbs extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 pound bacon (substitute with more olive oil for vegetarian version). Separate bacon into two halves. Dice one half. shopping list
- 1 and 1/2 tbs flour shopping list
- 1 and 1/2 tbs butter shopping list
- salt shopping list
- fresh ground black pepper shopping list
- white pepper (about a teaspoon, or to taste) shopping list
- 2 tbs minced chives, to garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven, large skillet or soup pan. Add the diced bacon and cook to render the fat.
- Add the onion and leeks and saute for about two minutes, or until just tender.
- Season with salt, black and white pepper.
- Add the butter. When melted, add the flour and cook to make a sort of roux.
- Whisk in the chicken (or vegetable) stock. Add the wine and the potatoes (Sweet potatoes take longer to cook than russets, so boil them ahead a time for a couple minutes, then add them along with the russets at this step).
- Bring to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, fry the non-diced half of the bacon until crispy. Cool, crumble and set aside.
- Once the potatoes are tender, kill the heat and add the grated cheese. Stir to combine. Adjust seasoning, if needed, with salt, black and white pepper.
- Use an immersion blender (or do batches in a normal blender) and blend until smooth. For a thinner consistency, increase the amount of stock or cut back on potato.
- Garnish with chives and bacon crumbles.
People Who Like This Dish 1
- ethoits Manchester, N.H.
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookethoits Manchester, N.H.
- Not added to any groups yet!