Grilled Cheese With Mozzarella And PestoFrom ethoits 3 years ago
- 2 slices good bakery bread (sour dough or whole grain are my favorites) shopping list
- 1 ball or log of mozzarella cheese, sliced fairly thin shopping list
- Pesto (recipe follows) shopping list
- olive oil or butter shopping list
For the Pesto
- This is for a green pesto, but a roasted red pepper pesto would be good too. Makes about 2 cups. shopping list
- 1/4 cup pine nuts shopping list
- 1.5 tablespoons chopped garlic shopping list
- 2.5 cups fresh basil leaves, packed shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 3/4 cups good olive oil (add more if too thick) shopping list
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan shopping list
How to make it
For the Pesto
- Place the nuts and garlic in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process for 30 seconds. Add the basil leaves, salt, and pepper. With the processor running, slowly pour the olive oil into the bowl through the feed tube and process until the pesto is thoroughly pureed. Add the Parmesan and puree for a minute.
For the Sandwich
- Spread some pesto on one side of both bread slices. Arrange mozzarella cheese on one of the slices (pesto covered side). Put the other slice on top, pesto side in.
- Heat butter or oil in a cast iron skillet or frying pan. Cook on low to medium heat until both sides are golden brown and the cheese is melted. If you use too much heat the bread will burn before the cheese melts. Use canned veggies or a sandwich press while cooking for a more panini-style sandwich.
The Cookethoits Manchester, N.H.
- Not added to any groups yet!