Beer Can TurkeyFrom windy1950 5 years ago
- 1 (9 to 10 pound) whole turkey, thawed or fresh shopping list
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard shopping list
- 2 teaspoons granulated onion shopping list
- 2 teaspoons paprika shopping list
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1/4 cup canola oil shopping list
- 12 to 24 ounces beer shopping list
How to make it
- Remove giblets, neck and any excess fat from turkey. Rinse with cold water; drain well.
- In a small bowl combine spices, herbs and seasonings.
- Meanwhile, preheat gas grill with all burners on high or build a charcoal fire. Reduce heat to Indirect Medium heat (about 350ºF) or position gray-ashed briquettes on either side of an aluminum drip pan. Pour beer inside turkey sitter and set aside.
- Blot turkey dry with paper towels. Rub interior of bird with 2 to 3 teaspoons of rub mixture. Brush turkey all over with oil and place drumstick-side down on sitter. Season turkey exterior with remaining rub.
- Place turkey/sitter directly on the grill rack cooking grate, carefully balancing the bird.
- Grill over Indirect Medium heat for about 2 to 3 hours until the juices run clear and a meat thermometer registers 185°F (approximately 85°C) in thigh and 170°F (80°C) in breast. Wearing barbecue mitts, carefully remove turkey from the grill, being careful not to spill the hot beer. Discard the beer.
- Let turkey rest at least 20 minutes before carving. Serve warm.
- Makes 12 servings.
- Note: On some grills, lid may not close completely. In this case, a small gap will still allow turkey to grill thoroughly. For added safety, place foil over turkey to avoid contact with grill lid.
- Recipe provided courtesy of the National Turkey Federation. Recipe adapted from Honeysuckle White and Elizabeth Karmel, creator of Grill Friends™ Ceramics and Tools.
- from http://www.cooksrecipes.com/poultry/beer_can_turkey_recipe.html