Award Winning PiccalilliFrom chefmeow 9 years ago
- 12 medium green tomatoes shopping list
- 3 medium sweet red peppers shopping list
- 3 medium green peppers shopping list
- 2 large white onions shopping list
- 2 pounds cabbage shopping list
- 1/3 cup salt shopping list
- 3-1/2 cups vinegar shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups brown sugar shopping list
- 2 tablespoons whole mixed pickling spice shopping list
- 2 sticks cinnamon shopping list
- 1 tablespoons whole cloves shopping list
- 4 whole allspice shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg shopping list
How to make it
- Stem tomatoes then stem and seed peppers.
- Peel and cut onions into quarters and cut cabbage into chunks.
- Put all vegetables through coarse blade of food grinder or chop coarsely.
- In large mixing bowl combine vegetables and salt then set bowl aside and let stand overnight.
- Line a large sieve or colander with cheesecloth and pour in the vegetables.
- Drain well then lift edges of the cheesecloth and squeeze to press out the liquid.
- Combine vinegar and sugar in large preserving kettle.
- Tie whole spices in a cheesecloth bag and add to the kettle.
- Stir in ground spices and heat to boiling.
- Add drained vegetables and heat to boiling then reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove spice bag then ladle into hot jars to within 1/4" of tops.
- Run a slim non metal tool down along the insides of jars to release any air bubbles.
- Add additional relish if necessary to within 1/4" of tops.
- Wipe tops and threads of jars with a damp clean cloth.
- Put on lids and screw bands as manufacturer directs.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
The Cookchefmeow Garland, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!