Chicken Curry StewFrom pimlico108 3 years ago
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds shopping list
- 1 tsp black mustard seed shopping list
- 1 tsp kalonji (nigella/black onion seed) shopping list
- 1 tsp fennel seed shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp black cumin seed shopping list
- 5 cloves shopping list
- 2 tsp ground cumin shopping list
- 2 tsp ground coriander shopping list
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 - 1 tsp chilli power, according to taste shopping list
- 1 tbsp garlic paste shopping list
- 1 tbsp ginger paste shopping list
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil shopping list
- 4 fresh curry or bay leaves shopping list
- 1 large or 2 medium sized onions, finely chopped shopping list
- 12 mixed fresh chillies. These will be cooked whole, so prick with a knife to stop them from exploding. They are for flavour and colour, not for heat. shopping list
- 4 potatoes, peeled and quartered shopping list
- 1 squash, peeled and diced shopping list
- 8 chicken thighs, skinned (other cuts are fine to use) shopping list
- water shopping list
- salt shopping list
- Naan bread shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the oil in a large pan. All the cooking will be done in this pan, so make sure it is big enough for all the ingredients and then some.
- Add the seeds and cloves to the oil.
- When the seeds begin to pop, add the chopped onion and stir it all together. Cook for several minutes, stirring occasionally until the onion has softened nicely.
- Add the garlic and ginger paste, chillies and leaves. Cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the ground spices and continue to stir for another minute or two.
- Then add the potatoes and stir in, being careful not to break any of the chillies.
- Add enough water to well and truly cover everything.
- Bring to the boil. Then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the squash, cover and simmer for a further 20 minutes.
- Next, add the chicken. If a little more water needs to be added to cover the chicken, do so. Bring back to the boil, cover and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Now check that the chicken is cooked through, but still nice and tender.
- Taste the broth and salt to taste.
- Serve with plenty of naan bread for dipping and mopping.
- Oh, and some lager for drinking.
The Cookpimlico108 Oxford, GB
- Not added to any groups yet!