New Years " Caribbean Curry Black Eyed Peas With Plantains " New YearsFrom mrcooksalot 2 years ago
- 1 teaspoon olive oil shopping list
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot shopping list
- 1 red pepper, finely diced shopping list
- 1/2 to 1 habanero pepper, seeded and minced shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced ginger shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 star anise shopping list
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder shopping list
- Pinch cinnamon shopping list
- About 3 stems of fresh thyme shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk shopping list
- 3/4 cup water shopping list
- 16 oz bag Black Eyed peas soaked over night , drained and rinsed shopping list
- 1 teaspoon light agave nectar shopping list
- juice from about 1/2 a lime shopping list
- 2 very ripe plantains, split lengthwise and cut into 1 inch chunks shopping list
How to make it
- Pre-soak beans in salt water over night
- Bring your steamer apparatus to a boil and preheat a small, heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Saute the shallot, red pepper and habanero in the oil for about 5 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and ginger, bay leaf and star anise, and saute about 2 minutes more. Add a splash of water, the curry powder, the cinnamon and thyme stems. Mix for about 30 seconds, just to toast the curry powder a bit.
- Add the salt, coconut milk, water and beans. Cover and heat through for about 5 minutes. Add agave and lime. Taste for salt and seasoning. Turn off heat, let sit for 10 minutes to let flavors meld.Remove thyme stems, anise and bay leaves.
- In the meantime, steam the plantain for about 5 minutes. They should appear plump and bright yellow.
- To serve, ladle curry over brown rice and top with plantains.
People Who Like This Dish 1
- mrcooksalot Denver, U.S.A.
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookmrcooksalot Denver, U.S.A.
- Not added to any groups yet!