Black Tie Mousse CakeFrom dancingfox 3 years ago
- 1 box of devils food cake mix (chocolate) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin* shopping list
- 1 tablespoon cold water shopping list
- 2 tablespoons boiling water shopping list
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips shopping list
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed shopping list
- 3/4 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar shopping list
- 3 egg yolks shopping list
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, sifted shopping list
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin shopping list
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 18 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped shopping list
- * a few people have been puzzled as to where to buy unflavored gelatin. I buy mine in the same section of the grocery store where Jello is sold. shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Bottom Layer: Bake according to directions on box, using round pans and cool. Once cooled, (cut cake into layers if you choose and use one layer) make a collar using wax paper. Make the collar at least four inches taller than cake.
- 2. Second Layer: Melt chocolate and cream cheese together. Let cool. Soften gelatin with cold water for 1 minute, then add boiling water, stir until dissolved and clear. Let this cool while you start whipping the heavy cream and sugar. As cream starts to thicken, add gelatin. Continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Add 1/4 of the cream to the chocolate mixture and mix thoroughly. Then fold this into the remaining cream. Once you have completed spread onto cake and refrigerate.
- 3. Third Layer: Beat egg yolks until pale. Add sugar, flour and gelatin, then beat until mixed. Bring cream and vanilla extract to a boil. Add a small amount of cream to egg mixture while stirring. Gradually add until all of the cream has been added and then pour entire mixture through a strainer into the pan. Continue to cook until custard begins to thicken. Cool slightly pour on top of chocolate mousse and freeze while getting the icing ready.
- 4. Fourth Layer: Bring butter and cream to a boil, pour over chocolate and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Let cool (slightly warmer than room temp) until it starts to thicken. Remove cake from freezer and remove the collar. Pour some of the ganache (what you feel comfortable working with) and using a spatula spread it evenly across the top and sides of cake. While this is still wet put chocolate chips onto the side of the cake. And refrigerate. Continue to let the remaining ganache cool and firm up, place into a cake decorating bag with star tip and place a border on the cake if you like.
The Cookdancingfox Butler, PA
- Not added to any groups yet!