Apple Slab PieFrom doreenfish 2 years ago
- 3 1/2 lb granny smith apples, about 8 medium peeled ,cored and sliced thin shopping list
- 3 1/2 lb delicious apples peeled, cored and sliced thin shopping list
- 1 1/2 c sugar shopping list
- 1 1/2 c animal crackers shopping list
- 2 pkg 15 oz pillsbury just unroll pie crusts...i am unable to get that here so i make my own shopping list
- 4 Tbsp butter, unsalted , melted and cooled shopping list
- 6 Tbsp instant tapioca shopping list
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice shopping list
- 2 tsp cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
How to make it
- FOR THE PIE:
- Combine apples, 1 cup sugar and salt in a colander set over a large bowl. Let sit tossing occasionally until apples release their juices about 30 mins. Press on apples gently to extract juice. If apples are dry I just use regular apple juice but you will need 3/4 cup juice for the glaze.Set aside.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Pulse crackers and remaining sugar in a food processor until finely ground.Dust work surface with cracker crumbs and spread out your dough piecing together to form a 19 x14 inch rectangle. Transfer to a 18 x 13 rimmed baking sheet. Patch the pastry if it has torn. Brush the dough with butter and repeat rolling process with top crust.
- Toss apples with tapioca, lemon juice, and cinnamon and arrange evenly over bottom crust, pressing lightly to flatten.Place top crust very carefully over top of apples and press the 2 crusts together.
- Trim off any excess dough. Use fork to crimp edges.
- Pierce top of pie with fork at 2 inch intervals.
- Bake until pie is golden brown and juices are bubbling about 1 hour.
- Let cool 1 hour.
- 3/4 cup reserved apple juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted , softened
- 1 1/4 cups icing sugar
- While pie is cooling simmer apple juicein a saucepan over medium heat until syrupy and reduced to 1/4 cup....abour 6 mins.
- stir in lemon juice and butter and let cool. Whisk in icing sugar and brush glaze over warm pie. Let cool anothe rhour and serve.
The Cookdoreenfish Thessalon, Canada
- Not added to any groups yet!