Chili Verde With Lime Cilantro CreamFrom HoustonBelle 4 years ago
- Stew shopping list
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin shopping list
- 3 pounds boneless pork, beef, or chicken (fat removed, cut into 1" cubes)* shopping list
- 1/4 cup (1 3/4 ounces) vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups (7 1/2 ounces) diced onions shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) coarsely chopped red peppers shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) coarsely chopped green peppers shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups (8 ounces) cleaned, diced tomatillos (or 3/4 cup salsa verde) shopping list
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chicken broth shopping list
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) diced tomatoes (undrained) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeño pepper shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- cilantro for garnish shopping list
- lime cilantro Cream shopping list
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro shopping list
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest or 1/4 teaspoon lime oil shopping list
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon chili seasoning or ground cumin shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- To make the stew: Mix the flour, salt, pepper, and cumin in a shallow dish. Dredge the meat cubes in the seasoned flour. Heat some of the oil in a heavy frying pan. Brown a few pieces of meat at a time; if you crowd the pan, the meat won’t brown well. Remove the meat when brown, and place in large stew pot or slow cooker.
- Brown the onions and peppers, using additional oil as needed. Place the vegetables into the stew pot or slow cooker, along with the tomatillos, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, and remaining seasonings. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 1 to 2 hours, until the meat is tender and the sauce has thickened. Season the stew to taste.
- To make the cream: Stir together the sour cream and remaining ingredients; cover and chill for several hours.
- Serve the stew over rice or in flour tortillas, topped with lime cilantro sauce or shredded cheese. Serve black bean and pineapple salsa (below) on the side.
- Yield: 10 to 12 servings.
- Black Bean and Pineapple Salsa
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (10 ounces) fresh diced pineapple
- 1/2 teaspoon chili seasoning or ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Toss all of the ingredients together, and refrigerate until needed.
- Yield: about 3 cups.
The CookHoustonBelle Somewhere In, Texas
- Not added to any groups yet!