Lamb Stew With DumplingsFrom katto 3 years ago
- 30 ml olive oil shopping list
- 1 kg boneless lamb leg, cut into 4 cm chunks shopping list
- 2 carrots, cut into large chunks shopping list
- 2 onions, cut into large chunks shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 2 sprigs thyme shopping list
- 3 fresh bay leaves shopping list
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste shopping list
- 8 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and quartered shopping list
- 1 litre veal stock table salt and freshly ground white pepper shopping list
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon shopping list
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley shopping list
- 150 g self-raising flour, plus extra if needed shopping list
- 150 g suet mix (available in the baking or spice section of supermarkets) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon table salt shopping list
- 180 ml cold water shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 165°C.
- Heat a large heavy-based saucepan or enamelled castiron casserole over high heat, then add the oil.
- Working in batches, brown the lamb for 6–8 minutes, stirring until it is well browned on all sides, then remove and set aside.
- Brown the carrot, onion and garlic for 3–4 minutes, then add the thyme and bay leaves.
- Return the meat to the pan.
- Add the tomato paste and stir to combine, then stir in the tomato and veal stock.
- Bring to the boil and season with salt and pepper.
- Pop on a lid and cook in the oven for 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Remove from the oven, remove the thyme and bring the stew back to a gentle simmer over low heat while you make the dumplings.
- For the dumplings, mix the flour, suet mix and salt in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre, then pour in the water and mix gently by hand; add extra flour if needed for the mixture to just come together.
- Form into 2 cm balls and drop them onto the surface of the bubbling stew.
- Pop on the lid and simmer for 6–8 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave covered for 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle the lemon zest and parsley over the stew and serve at once with the dumplings.
People Who Like This Dish 0
- katto Melbourne, Australia
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookkatto Melbourne, Australia
- Not added to any groups yet!