Canadian Flavours Bread PuddingFrom jo_jo_ba 5 years ago
- 2 tbsp dry bread crumbs (preferably whole wheat) shopping list
- 6 large slices stale bread , crusts removed (preferably whole wheat but not grain-filled) shopping list
- 2 tbsp butter, divided shopping list
- 4 large Empire or macintosh apples, peeled, cored and sliced shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed shopping list
- 1/3 cup brown sugar shopping list
- 2 cups low-fat (1%) milk, heated shopping list
- 1 tsp vanilla extract shopping list
- 1 tsp cinnamon shopping list
- ¼ tsp nutmeg shopping list
- pinch salt shopping list
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries shopping list
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts shopping list
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 325°F and sprinkle breadcrumbs in the bottom of a lightly greased 8” square pan.
- Spread bread with 1 tbsp of the butter and tear into pieces.
- Place half the bread, buttered side up, in the dish.
- In large pan, melt remaining butter and add apple slices. Cook for 7 minutes, stirring, until apples start to turn golden but not mushy.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, ground flaxseed and brown sugar well.
- Slowly whisk in milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Pour half the egg mixture over the bread in pan, then spread with apples and sprinkle with dried cranberries and walnuts.
- Cover with remaining bread (butter side up) and pour the remaining egg mixture over top.
- Place the square pan in a large roasting pan and pour 1” of hot water into the larger pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, then move the square pan to a wire rack and brush with maple syrup if using.