Roast Leg Of Lamb With AnchovyFrom staccato 2 years ago
- 2 kilograms leg of lamb (Ensure the butcher doesn’t cut the shank (leg) bone because when carving it serves as a ‘handle’. However, ask them to fillet out the pelvic bone, which can get in the way when carving) shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced shopping list
- 3 sprigs rosemary, snipped into 2cm lengths shopping list
- 1 pinch rosemary and olive seasoning, or season to taste shopping list
- 1 can anchovy fillets in oil, (50g) shopping list
- 23 ml brown gravy powder shopping list
- 2 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 1 dash sherry, or squeeze lemon juice shopping list
How to make it
- 1 Stuff lamb with garlic and rosemary by making holes in meat with the point of a chef’s knife and inserting a sliver of garlic and a tiny piece of fresh rosemary into each hole.
- 2 Season with rosemary and olive seasoning.
- 3 Mash anchovies in their own oil with a little extra olive oil to form a paste.
- 4 Rub all over meat. Refrigerate for a couple of hours or overnight. Bring meat to room temperature before roasting.
- 5 Preheat oven to 200ºC.
- 6 Place lamb on a rack over a roasting pan.
- 7 Add 2 cups (500ml) water to pan.Roast meat uncovered for 30 minutes.
- 8 Reduce heat to 180ºC and roast fo ranother 1-1½ hours (uncovered) o runtil cooked to your liking (on a meat thermometer, medium done reads 71ºC).
- 9 Remove lamb from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes covered with foil before carving.
- 10 Add 2 cups (500ml) water to pan juices and thicken with brown gravy powder, mixed with a little water.
- Season to taste. Add sherry or lemon juice for extra flavour.
- Step-by-step carving
- Wrap a clean cloth around exposed shank bone.
- Position leg on its side and, using a very sharp chef’s or carving knife, carve into neat, thin slices.
- Finally cut along long bones to loosen slices and arrange on a warmed meat platter.
- Turn leg over and carve other side the same way, until you end up with completely clean bones.
The Cookstaccato Grahamstown, South Africa
- Not added to any groups yet!