Indian Chicken & SpinachFrom ashbash 4 years ago
- 500g/1lb 2oz spinach leaves, washed shopping list
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil shopping list
- 3 black cardamom pods shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 5cm/2in piece cinnamon shopping list
- 3-4 green chillies, pricked with a knife shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 2cm/¾in piece ginger, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 11 garlic cloves, peeled, left whole shopping list
- 3 large tomatoes, cut into quarters shopping list
- 800g/1lb 12oz chicken, jointed, skin removed shopping list
- 2 tsp ground coriander shopping list
- 1½ tsp garam masala shopping list
- salt, to taste shopping list
- 4 tbsp plain yoghurt, stirred shopping list
- freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- basmati rice shopping list
How to make it
- Preparation method
- 1. In a food processor, blend the spinach to a purée using one or two tablespoons of water to loosen the mixture. Set aside.
- 2. Heat the vegetable oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the cardamom pods, bay leaves and cinnamon and fry for 20-30 seconds.
- 3. Add the green chillies and onion and continue to fry for 4-5 minutes, or until caramelised.
- 4. Meanwhile, blend the ginger, garlic and tomatoes to a smooth paste in the food processor.
- 5. When the onions have caramelised, add the paste, chicken pieces and remaining spices to the pan and stir well to combine. Season, to taste, with salt and simmer for 12-15 minutes, stirring regularly.
- 6. Add the yoghurt, stir well and continue to simmer the mixture until the sauce has thickened and almost dried out.
- 7. Stir in the spinach purée and continue to simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until the chicken has cooked through. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then serve with rice.
People Who Like This Dish 0
- ashbash Skerries, Ireland
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookashbash Skerries, Ireland
- Not added to any groups yet!