Chili Tomato JamFrom pointsevenout 2 years ago
- 2 c ripe roma tomatoes shopping list
- 2 T chopped tightly packed fresh basil shopping list
- 2 T lemon juice shopping list
- 2 T grated, fresh lemon peel shopping list
- 1 t chili powder shopping list
- 4 dashes salt shopping list
- 1 box Pomona pectin, using: shopping list
- 2 t pomona calcium water shopping list
- 2 t pomona pectin shopping list
- ½ c sugar shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare canning jars and lids.
- Make calcium water following directions in the Pomona Pectin box.
- Scald, peel, seed, chop then crush 2lbs Roma tomatoes which will yield about 2 cups. If you are using a juicier tomato you will need more to get 2 cups.
- Place crushed tomatoes along with the basil, chili powder, lemon peel and salt into a sauce pan over medium heat: stir and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to simmer and process covered for 10 minutes.
- Measure 2 cups of the tomato mix to a sauce pan. Add lemon juice and calcium water: Stir well.
- Measure sugar and pectin into a bowl and mix well.
- Bring tomato mix to a boil. Add sugar mix: stir to dissolve while returning to a boil then remove from heat.
- Fill pint or half-pint canning jars leaving ¼” head space. Adjust lids. Process in water-bath canner for 10 minutes. Let jar/s cool overnight and check seal.
- This recipe can be doubled, tripled, or even quadrupled.
The Cookpointsevenout Athens, AL
- Not added to any groups yet!