Scalloped PotatoesFrom twill10 5 years ago
- scalloped potatoes shopping list
- 1-1/2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs (do not use store-bought fine bread crumbs that are intended for breading) shopping list
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme shopping list
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground shopping list
- 2-3/4 to 3 pounds potatoes (baking potatoes or russets), peeled and thinly sliced (1/8-inch slices) shopping list
- 1 small onion, peeled and very thinly sliced, rings separated shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth shopping list
- 1 cup heavy cream (whipping cream) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard shopping list
- butter a 9x13-inch baking dish, and preheat the oven to 400°F. shopping list
- Over medium heat, melt the 1-1/2 tablelspoons butter and stir in the fresh bread crumbs. Sauté until golden, remove from heat and set aside. shopping list
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, thyme, salt and pepper. shopping list
How to make it
- Butter a 9x13-inch baking dish, and preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Over medium heat, melt the 1-1/2 tablelspoons butter and stir in the fresh bread crumbs. Sauté until golden, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Put one-third of the sliced potatoes into the buttered baking dish. Sprinkle one-third of the flour mixture evenly over the potatoes, and top with half of the onion rings. Repeat for the second layer, then top with the remaining one-third of the potatoes and flour mixture.
- Whisk together the chicken broth, cream and mustard, and pour mixture evenly over the potatoes. Bake for 30 minutes, then scatter the bread crumbs over the potatoes. Continue baking for 50 to 60 minutes longer. Potatoes should be crusty and medium brown on top, but tender and creamy in the middle. Most of the liquid will be absorbed, but potatoes should still be moist. Serve warm.
- Makes 8 servings.
The Cooktwill10 Cape Girardeau, MO
- Not added to any groups yet!