Giblet GravyFrom twill10 5 years ago
- Giblet gravy shopping list
- 3 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 cup drippings from roasting pan that have been skimmed of fat shopping list
- 1 cup chicken broth shopping list
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste shopping list
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry (not cooking sherry) shopping list
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups turkey giblets (chopped pieces of cooked liver and neck) shopping list
How to make it
- The Giblets: I use just the liver and pieces off the neck (I give the gizzard to the cat,. I always cook the neck with the turkey -- tuck it down in a corner of the pan. You can cook the liver the same way: submerge it in the broth in the roasting pan about 30 minutes before you expect the turkey to be done, or you can put it in a small saucepan, cover with a cup or so of lightly salted water and simmer it for 30 minutes. Since burner space is at a premium when preparing a holiday meal, I usually opt for the cook-it-with-the-turkey method.
- Over medium-low heat, melt the butter in a large saucepan until it is bubbly, sprinkle in the flour and stir quickly for a minute or so to cook the flour. Slowly stir in the turkey drippings and chicken stock, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the gravy is smooth and thickened. (Note about lumps: Lumps are nothing to be embarrassed about. They happen. If you've got some lumps and want to get rid of them, strain the gravy now, because you won't be able to after you add the giblets.)
- Reduce heat to low, and check the seasonings. Add salt and pepper only if you think it is necessary. Some people (me) like to add a tablespoon or two of sherry at this point. It makes a wonderful difference. Add the giblets and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- You can make your gravy early, keep it warm, and heat it back up a bit just before serving, if you like.
People Who Like This Dish 0
- twill10 Cape Girardeau, MO
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cooktwill10 Cape Girardeau, MO
- Not added to any groups yet!