Red Split Lentils With Cabbage (masoor Dal Aur Band Gobi)From amysf 4 years ago
- 1 1/4 cups red split lentils (masoor dal), picked over, washed and drained shopping list
- 5 cups water shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric shopping list
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds shopping list
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped shopping list
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut into fine slices shopping list
- 1/2 pound cored and finely shredded cabbage shopping list
- 1 to 2 fresh, hot green chilies, finely sliced shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 1 medium tomato, peeled and finely chopped shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon peeled, finely grated fresh ginger shopping list
How to make it
- Put the lentils and water into a heavy pot and bring to a boil. Remove any foam that collects at the top. Add the turmeric and stir to mix. Cover, leaving the lid very slightly ajar, turn heat down to low, and simmer gently for 1 1/4 hours. Stir a few times during the last 30 minutes.
- When the lentils cook, heat the oil in an 8 to 9 inch frying pan over medium heat. When hot, put in the cumin seeds. Let them sizzle for 3 to 4 seconds. Now put in the garlic. As soon as the garlic pieces begin to brown, put in the onion, cabbage and green chilies. Stir and fry the cabbage mixture for about 10 minutes or until it begins to brown and turn slightly crisp. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Turn off the heat under the frying pan.
- When the lentils have cooked for 1 1/4 hours, add the remaining 1 1/4 teaspoon salt, the tomato and ginger to the pot. Stir to mix. Cover and cook another 10 minutes. Add the cabbage mixture and any remaining oil in the frying pan. Stir to mix and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer uncovered for 2 to 3 minutes or until the cabbage is heated through.
- Great served with naan or pita bread, and add Indian Spiced Cauliflower and Potatoes to make an entire meal.