Vegetarian BurritosFrom ferguinness 1 year ago
- 2 c. brown rice shopping list
- 3 c water shopping list
- 1 Tb cumin shopping list
- 1 Tb paprika shopping list
- 1 Tb cayenne shopping list
- 1 Tb salt shopping list
- 3 Tb butter shopping list
- 2 Medium sized ripe tomato,one large dice, one small dice shopping list
- 6 cloves garlic diced shopping list
- 2 Medium yellow onion,one large dice, one small dice shopping list
- 3 strand saffron (optional) shopping list
- 2 C dried beans shopping list
- 1 bay Leaf shopping list
- 1 can tomato paste shopping list
- 2 Tb. Blackstrap Mollasses shopping list
- 4 C. vegetable stock shopping list
- 4 Tb mint ,Chiffonade shopping list
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and Grated shopping list
- 2 C. Grated purple cabbage shopping list
- 1 zucchini, grated shopping list
- 2 C. Chard, chiffonade shopping list
- 2t. fresh lime juice shopping list
- 1/2 C feta cheese or plain yogurt shopping list
- Chopped cilantro shopping list
How to make it
- For the Spanish Rice
- Over high heat toast the rice kernels in a dry pot. Make sure to keep stirring to avoid scorching either the rice or your pot!
- Once you can smell the kernels getting toasty add half of the cumin, paprika and cayenne, continue to toast, stirring for a minute (I start the rice before the spice to prevent the spices from burning before the rice completely toasts) .
- Add your water (or half water/ half vegetable stock) and bring to a boil,add salt and reduce heat to low and cover for 20 minutes.
- When the Rice is finished, Remove from pot into a cool bowl to pause the cooking.
- Add two table spoons of boiled water to the saffron strands and put to the side so it may steep into a tea.
- Melt one tablespoon of butter, adding one,large diced onion, spices and garlic. Cook until translucent then add the large diced tomatoes, using your spatula and the tomatoes acidity to deglaze your pots bottom.
- Once tomatoes have broken down add the cooked rice and saffron tea, stirring to evenly coat rice.
- For the Refried Beans
- Start soaking your beans the night, change the water at least once. Put in small pot covered in salted water and boil on low until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Strain and rinse with cold water. Melt 1 Tb of butter on medium heat, adding onions, garlic and tomatoes. Add salt and pepper.
- Once your tomatoes have broken down add tomato paste,molasses (key iron supplement for a veggie diet!!) and half your stock.
- Reduce heat to low and add the cooked beans, cover and cook for 45 minutes. When beans are tender enough remove bay leaf and blend beans until mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool then add chiffonade of mint.
- For the Vegetable Mixture
- Quite simply melt butter on medium heat and carrots, cabbage, zucchini and chard. Add two cloves of the diced garlic, salt and pepper. Add the lime juice and cover. Should take about five minutes for all vegetables to cook through. Removed from heat.
- Cook your tortillas, both sides, on a medium high heated element. Divide your rice, bean and vegetable mixtures evenly between and add feta cheese or yogurt and cilantro. Roll tight, put on oven tray and bake at 250 for 8 minutes.
The Cookferguinness Revelstoke, Canada
- Not added to any groups yet!