Vegan Dark Chocolate Double Layer CakeFrom elvybeauti 1 year ago
- 1 cup soy milk (or almond milk) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar shopping list
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/3 cup canola oil (increase by 2 tbsp for high altitude) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract shopping list
- 1 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-processed or regular (or a mix of both) (add a little extra for fun) shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda (add a tiny bit more for high altitude) shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (add a tiny bit more for high altitude) shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (add a tiny bit more for high altitude) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 (bake at 360 for high altitude)
- Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to let thicken slightly - use this time to mix dry ingredients in another bowl.
- After about 5 minutes, add the sugar, oil, vanilla and almond extract and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add slowly into wet ingredients while stirring and beat until no large lumps remain....a few tiny lumps are OK.
- Lightly grease a 9" cake pan. Pour in the batter and bake for 32 to 35 minutes (bake for 23 minutes for high altitude), until a toothpick inserted through the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 1 hour, or until it is NOT warm anymore. Otherwise when you take them out of the pan, they tend to stick easier.
- Sprinkle flour on a fancy plate, then place the bottom layer of the cake onto it. I recommend spreading a thin layer of raspberry jam between the cake layers! It's delicious!
- Add second layer of cake and cover with frosting. I use Pamela's Products dark chocolate frosting, substitute in vegan butter. I found this product at Sunflower Market - it's probably available at most health food stores.
The Cookelvybeauti Lakewood, CO
- Not added to any groups yet!