Jerk Chicken W/ Coconut RiceFrom ferguinness 5 years ago
- 1 Small yellow onion Diced shopping list
- 125 ml olive oil shopping list
- 125 ml soy sauce shopping list
- 375 ml white vinegar shopping list
- juice and Zest of One orange shopping list
- >125ml of banana peppers (depending on spice threshold of your diners!) shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 45ml Fresh thyme shopping list
- 15 ml fresh sage shopping list
- 30 ml allspice shopping list
- 30 ml brown sugar shopping list
- 15 ml cayenne shopping list
- 15 ml nutmeg shopping list
- 15 ml cinnamon shopping list
- 15 ml each salt and black pepper shopping list
- 6-8 chicken thighs, Bones Removed but reserved shopping list
- 30 ml corn Starch shopping list
- 500 ml brown rice shopping list
- 1100 ml cold water shopping list
- 400 ml coconut milk ( 1 can) shopping list
- 1 can red kidney beans shopping list
- 4 large green onions cut into batons, 5 cm shopping list
How to make it
- Combine all ingredients up to chicken thighs, this is your marinade, stir well before adding your chicken thighs. Cover and chill for 1 hour or, when possible overnight. When ready to cook preheat oven to 325 C, place your chicken thighs on a greased baking sheet and cook for about 45 mins, save marinade. Always check chicken either with a thermometer ( 77 C) or by cutting one thigh and checking color for any remaining pinkness (indicating its still undercooked).
- When chicken goes into the oven you may begin your Coconut rice side dish.
- First toast rice kernels over high heat, stirring to prevent burning, for two minutes or until fragrant. Add your water, coconut milk and reserved chicken bones and bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover for 45 mins. When Rice is fully cooked add green onion batons, your can of red Kidney beans ( remember to rinse beans thoroughly before adding!) and the orange zest. Stir lightly to combine it all evenly without over stirring the rice, making it pasty and starchy. If available you can add some green peas as a supplement to or substitute of the kidney beans. Use whatever you have!
- When the Rice is all ready your chicken will either be done or ready within ten minutes. Pour remaining marinade into a sauce pan and bring to a hard boil. Add an equal amount of water to your corn starch(30 ml). Once it has been boiling for a minute add corn starch and stir mixture with a whisk. Once its thickened it may be removed from heat. Divide rice evenly among plates, top with chicken thighs and pour jerk sauce over top. Enjoy!
The Cookferguinness Revelstoke, Canada
- Not added to any groups yet!