Spaghetti With Meat SauceFrom davik 4 years ago
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage shopping list
- 1/4 lb ground beef shopping list
- 2 oz salt pork, in small cubes shopping list
- 1 carrot, minced shopping list
- 1 celery stalk, minced shopping list
- 1 onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 5 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- heavy pinch dried basil shopping list
- pinch dried oregano shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- scant pinch nutmeg shopping list
- 2 28 oz cans crushed san marzano tomatoes shopping list
- 1/3 C cream shopping list
- 1/4 t ground pepper shopping list
- ~1 t dried rosemary shopping list
- 2 T butter shopping list
- 2 T olive oil shopping list
- 1/4 C chopped Italian parsley shopping list
- handful dried maitake or porcini mushrooms shopping list
- handful dried smoked tomatoes, or somewhat more oil packed smoked tomatoes shopping list
- 3/4 C beef stock shopping list
- 1 C water shopping list
- crushed red pepper to taste shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Soak the mushrooms in hot water, when soft mince, and save the soaking water.
- Render salt pork over medium low in olive oil and butter until crispy. Remove, leaving the fat in the pan.
- Thoroughly brown the sausage and beef on medium high, remove, leaving the fat in the pan.
- Add the onion and brown thoroughly over medium heat.
- Add the carrot, celery, garlic, and mushrooms, and saute thoroughly over medium for 8-10 minutes.
- Add everything (including the reserved mushroom liquid) except the cream and the salt and simmer for at least two hours, covering or uncovering as necessary to get the right thickness (it may thicken when you blend in the next step, so it's okay to leave it a little thin, but you don't want to cook much after the blending).
- Blend with an immersion blender to get the right consistency, add salt, and allow to cool somewhat.
- Add cream, mix in, and adjust salt again.
- Serve on spaghetti.
The Cookdavik Lansing, MI
- Not added to any groups yet!