Vienna TorteFrom curious 4 years ago
For the layers
- 6 eggs, separated shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, sifted shopping list
- 2 tsp baking powder shopping list
- 1/3 cup cold water shopping list
- 2 cups milk shopping list
- 1/3 cup cornstarch shopping list
- 1/3 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 egg, beaten shopping list
- 1 tsp. vanilla shopping list
- 1/2 cup butter, softened shopping list
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted shopping list
How to make it
For the cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat egg whites. to soft peaks. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating to stiff peak stage.
- In another bowl, sift together flour and baking powder.
- In a third bowl, beat egg yolks till thick and lemon colored. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar.
- Add flour mixture to egg yolks, alternately with water, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Line three 9-inch layer tins with wax paper.
- Pour batter into prepared tins.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
For the frosting
- While the cake is cooking, Combine milk, cornstarch, sugar, egg and vanilla in a medium saucepan. Cook over low heat until thick.
- Remove from heat and cover with plastic wrap (directly on surface of custard) to prevent skin from forming. Cool completely (to room temperature).
- When custard has cooled, cram butter and add powdered sugar a little at a time. Add custard to butter mixture.
- Cut layers in half to make 6 thin layers. Frost and fill cake with custard frosting.
The Cookcurious Commerce, GA
- Not added to any groups yet!