Grandma's Chicken Pot PieFrom jessikate717 3 years ago
For the Filling
- pie crust (recipe to follow) shopping list
- 1 egg, beaten shopping list
- 4 chicken breasts shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 2/3 cup butter shopping list
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour shopping list
- 1 pint heavy cream shopping list
- 2 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion shopping list
- 1 cup frozen broccoli florets shopping list
- 1 cup chopped baby carrots shopping list
- 1 cup diced red potatoes shopping list
- 1 tablespoon sage shopping list
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg shopping list
For the Pie Crust
- 3 1/4 cups flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups shortening shopping list
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water shopping list
How to make it
- To make the crust: In a food processor, add the flour, salt and shortening. Mix until the ingredients are combined. With the motor running, slowly add the water and mix until the dough begins to gather on itself.
- Dump out the dough and form 2 balls. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9x9x2 inch baking dish.
- Heat butter in a large dutch oven or oven-proof stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and saute 2 minutes. Add chicken and saute 5 to 7 minutes, until browned on all sides. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the flour and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes for a blond roux. Stir in the chicken stock and bring the liquid up to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and continue to cook for 4 to 6 minutes, or until the sauce starts to thicken. Stir in the cream and continue to cook for 4 minutes. Whisk in sage and nutmeg. Stir in the potatoes, carrots, broccoli and garlic. Cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 10 minutes. Mix the filling thoroughly. Line the baking pan with one of the crusts. Pour the filling into the prepared pan. Place the top crust on top of the filling. Carefully tuck the overlapping crust into the pan, forming a thick edge. Crimp the edges of the pan and place on a baking sheet. Brush crust with beaten egg. Place the sheet in the oven and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and crispy.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving and enjoy!