Malabari Lamb BiryaniFrom sm8085 4 years ago
- basmati rice – 4 cups, soaked for 30 mins and drained shopping list
- lamb – 2 lbs(cleaned and cut into big pieces) shopping list
- 8 cups lamb stock shopping list
- 6 onions -(finely sliced) shopping list
- 2-3 tomatoes Tomato chopped shopping list
- Green chillies - 10 + ginger – 1 big piece+2 tbsp crushed garlic, all ground to a fine paste shopping list
- pepper powder - 1 tsp shopping list
- turmeric powder - 1 tsp shopping list
- Cashewnuts – a handful shopping list
- Cinnamon- 4 sticks shopping list
- cloves 4 shopping list
- Cardamom- 4 shopping list
- Yogurt- ½ cup shopping list
- Fennel seeds- 1/2 tsp shopping list
- Mint leaves- 1/2 bunch shopping list
- cilantro - 1/2 bunch shopping list
- clarified butter - 1/4 cup shopping list
- vegetable oil - 1/4 cup shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add 1/2 of the sliced onions and fry, till golden brown. Keep aside.
- Add fennel to the same oil. Once it splutters, add the remaing onions and cashews and fry till soft.
- Then add tomatoes, ground paste, turmeric powder, pepper powder, curd, mint and cilantro and saute, till the oil starts to separate.
- Add lamb and cook with the lid on, till almost done. Add salt and keep aside.
- Boil rice in stock and whole spices till ¾ done. Drain and keep aside.
- Grease an oven proof dish with a little clarified butter. Spread half the cooked lamb and layer with half the rice. Pour 2 tbsp of butter over it and sprinkle some fried onion. Layer with the remaing lamb and rice followed by butter and fried onions. Cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Pre heat the oven to 200F and bake for 20 mins.
- Serve hot