Savory Beans ( Frijoles A La Charra )From PongoUSA 4 years ago
- 1/2 lb smoked ham hock or prosciutto endpiece shopping list
- 1 lb pinto beans, picked over shopping list
- 1/2 0nion, peeled shopping list
- 3 sm cloves garlic, peeled and smashed shopping list
- 12 cup water shopping list
- 1 tb salt shopping list
finishing the beans
- 1/2 lb bacon, cut in small pieces. I use Trader Joe's uncured bacon, ends and pieces shopping list
- 3 tb lard shopping list
- 1 can tomatoes, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 3 chiles serranos, finely chopped ( I use chipotle in adobe sauce ) shopping list
- handful cilantro shopping list
- 1 bottle Weizenbeer or Maerzen shopping list
How to make it
- Put pork with the beans, onion, and garlic in a heavy pot. Add water and bring to a boil. Lower the flame, cover pot and cook the beans, until they are tender, anything from 1 1/2 to 3 hours. Add salt, cook, uncovered, for 15 more minutes.
- Cook the bacon into the lard, until slightly browned. Add the tomatoes and the rest of the ingredients, but the beer and cook for 10 min over fairly high flame. Add, together with the beer to the beans and let them cook together over a low flame for 15 min.
- Serve in small individual bowls with broiled meats, or as a soup.
The CookPongoUSA San Francisco Peninsula, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!