Yellow Squash RelishFrom mark555 1 year ago
- 8 cups shredded yellow squash shopping list
- 2 cups diced onion shopping list
- 2 cups red bell peppers shopping list
- 2 cups green bell peppers shopping list
- 3 TBS salt shopping list
- 3 Cups sugar shopping list
- 2 Cups vinegar shopping list
- 2 tsp celery seeds shopping list
- 2 tsp whole mustard seed shopping list
- 6 (1 pint) canning jars with lids and rings shopping list
How to make it
- Place squash, onion, peppers in a large bowl, and sprinkle with salt. Toss to combine and allow to drain for 1 hour discard juice.(I put it into a colander so I have less liquid)
- Place sugar, vinegar, spices into a large pot, bring to boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar/
- Stir in the squash mixture and return to boil cook until vegetables are tender or not quite depending on how you like your relish. (About 5-10 minutes depending on how fine a chop you used)
- Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes.
- Pack the squash relish into hot sterilized jars to within 1/4 inch of the top (1/4 inch head space) Run a knife or thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids and screw on rings.
- Place a rack in the bottom of a large stock pot, and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, place jars in pot do not allow jars to touch add more boiling water until the water level is at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring water to a full boil and process for 10 minutes, or the recommended time in your area.
- Remove from the pot and let cool. Once cool press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight(lid does not move up or down)
- NOTE: The original recipe calls for you to refrigerate after canning, I don't and have not noticed any problems. Perhaps they intended it to be refrigerated after opening, which I do agree with.
The Cookmark555 Center Of The World Ma' Center Of The World, KS
- Not added to any groups yet!