Lentil StewFrom jgnat 4 years ago
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped shopping list
- 3 tablespoons oil shopping list
- 1 pound dried lentils shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced shopping list
- 4 stalks celery with leaves, chopped shopping list
- 2 large potatoes, diced, or 2 cups cooked brown rice shopping list
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomatoes and juice, chopped shopping list
- salt an pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Cook the onion and garlic gently in the oil until the onion is transparent. Add the lentils and coat them all with oil Stir in the bay leaves, the vegetables (include potatoes but not rice), and the tomatoes, and 2 1/2 cups boiling water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat, cover the pot and cook the stew, stirring from time to time, for 30 minutes, or until the lentils and potatoes are soft but not mushy.
- Add more water during cooking if the mixture looks too dry.
- Stir in the rice (if using instead of potatoes) an season the stew with plenty of salt and pepper.
- Let simmer for 10 or 15 minutes more and taste again for seasoning.
- Remove bay leaves and serve.
The Cookjgnat Edmonton, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!