Chili Con CarneFrom bilalmasood1971 2 years ago
- 1 tsp dry oregano shopping list
- .5 tsp dry rosemary shopping list
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground shopping list
- 1.5 tsp of roasted cumin, freshly ground shopping list
- salt to taste (I use very little salt in my food) shopping list
- 1.5 tsp ground chili powder shopping list
- 2 tbsp chipotle (or more!) shopping list
- 2-3 freshly chopped green chilies shopping list
- 2 tbsp brown sugar shopping list
- 2-3 shallots shopping list
- 1 bulb of garlic shopping list
- 1 green pepper (capsicum) shopping list
- 1 yellow pepper shopping list
- 1 orange pepper shopping list
- 3 stalks celery shopping list
- 2 medium carrots shopping list
- 2 400g cans of chopped tomatoes shopping list
- 1 cup of red wine shopping list
- 2 cups of vegetable juice (or stock) shopping list
- 1 kg ground lean beef mince shopping list
- 2 cups of beans (you choice, I used mixed beans, soaked overnight) shopping list
- oil for cooking (I used regular vegetable oil) shopping list
How to make it
- The base: In a food processor, pulse the celery, carrots and onions. Add to a large cooking pot with the oil heated on a medium flame. Cook for 10 minutes. Add the roasted, ground spices, chili powder and dried herbs, and continue cooking for a further 10 minutes, till mixture has lost some moisture and softened. Then add the onion, peppers and garlic which have also been pulsed in the processor, just like the earlier vegetables, and continue to cook for a further 10 minutes. You are looking for a base where the vegetables have lost their crunch.
- At the same time as you start the vegetable base, fry off the mince till done. Add the mince to the vegetable base, after the above mentioned vegetable process is complete and continue to cook. Pour the red wine in the pan used to cook the meat to deglaze it and capture and the flavor and then add this to the main pot. Cook for a further 5 minutes or until the alcohol has cooked out. Add the tomatoes and vegetable juice and cook for 10 minutes. Add the beans, chipotle and sugar. Reduce the flame and continue to cook for at least one hour. Longer is better as it will deepen the flavor, especially of the chilies.
- When you see the oil separate at the top, the chili is done.
- This is a great base for burritos and for a Mexican lasagna.
- Can be frozen after refrigerating overnight.
The Cookbilalmasood1971 Dubai, UAE
- Not added to any groups yet!