Whole-wheat BreadFrom twohot 4 years ago
- yield: Makes 2 loaves shopping list
- 2 cups warm water (105°-115°F.) shopping list
- 1/4-ounce package (2 1/2 teaspoons) active dry yeast shopping list
- 1/4 cup molasses shopping list
- 5 to 6 cups whole-wheat flour shopping list
- 2 tablespoons sugar shopping list
- 2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 1/2 cup canola oil shopping list
- an egg wash made by beating 1 large egg white with 1 teaspoon water shopping list
- 3 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats for sprinkling loaves shopping list
How to make it
- In a small bowl stir together 1 3/4 cups warm water and yeast and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. In a measuring cup whisk together remaining 1/4 cup warm water and molasses. In a large bowl stir together 2 cups flour, sugar, salt, and oil and add molasses and yeast mixtures, stirring until combined well. Stir in enough of remaining 3 to 4 cups flour, 1/2 cup at a time, for mixture to form a soft dough and turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough 8 minutes, or until smooth and elastic, and shape into a ball.
- Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl, turning to coat, and let rise, covered with plastic wrap, in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about
- 1 hour. Punch down dough and let rise, covered, 45 minutes more.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. and grease 2 loaf pans, 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 by
- 2 inches.
- Divide dough in half. Lightly knead each piece of dough and form into ovals. Transfer loaves to pans and let rise, covered with kitchen towels,
- 45 minutes. Brush tops of loaves lightly with egg wash and sprinkle with oats. Bake loaves in middle of oven 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. and bake loaves 20 to 25 minutes more, or until golden brown. Turn loaves out onto a rack to cool.
The Cooktwohot Montreal, CANDADA
- Not added to any groups yet!