Figgy Strawberry JamFrom jo_jo_ba 4 years ago
- 930 g strawberries, chopped shopping list
- 4 fresh figs, diced shopping list
- 8 dried figs, soaked overnight in water and diced shopping list
- 1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger shopping list
- 2 tsp calcium water (see below) shopping list
- 1/4 cup amber agave nectar (or honey) shopping list
- 1 tbsp red wine shopping list
- pinch salt shopping list
- pinch nutmeg shopping list
- 1/2 cup vanilla sugar (or half and half vanilla sugar and regular sugar) shopping list
- 2 tsp pectin powder shopping list
How to make it
- Mash the strawberries, figs and ginger together in a saucepan.
- Add the calcium water, honey and red wine into the pan and stir well.
- Measure sugar into separate bowl.
- Thoroughly mix pectin powder into sugar.
- Bring fruit mixture to a boil and cook for 5 minutes, stirring.
- Add pectin-sugar, stir vigorously for 1-2 minutes to dissolve pectin.
- Return to boil and remove from heat.
- Pour into jars and can in a waterbath for 10 minutes or refrigerate up to 4 weeks.
- Pomona's comes with two packets - one of pectin and one of monocalcium phosphate. The calcium helps activate the pectin under low-sugar circumstances. To prepare calcium water mix the contents of the packet with 1/2 cup water in a jar and shake well. You only need 2-3 tsp per batch so store the rest in the jar in the fridge - it keeps a long time.
The Cookjo_jo_ba Oshawa, CA
Good To Freeze130 members
Gluten Free No Wheat240 members
Eat Light Healthy457 members
Cooking For Food Allergies45 members
The Incredible Allergens8 members
Original Recipes143 members
Fresh Food Cooking119 members
Special NeedsRestricted55 members
Eggless Cooking Egg Substitues50 members