CarnitasFrom jena 1 year ago
- 3-4 pound pork shoulder roast (this is usually called a Boston Butt or Picnic roast), you don’t need it with a bone but if it has one, it’s ok. Make sure it has fat and don’t trim the fat – that’s what makes the dish! shopping list
- juice of 3 oranges (or about a cup) shopping list
- 3-4 garlic cloves, grated shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro or Mexican oregano shopping list
- 2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- Cold water shopping list
How to make it
- Cut pork into strips, about 2 inches by 3/4 inch or so. Remember, to keep the fat on the meat.
- Place the meat in a large Dutch Oven or stock pot, cover with enough cold water to just cover the meat.
- Add the orange juice, garlic, spices and salt.
- Bring the contents to a boil and then let simmer, uncovered on low, until the water is almost evaporated (about 1 1/2 hours). OR:
- Use slow cooker and heat on high for 1 hour and low for 6 hours
- Then, turn the heat up, let the water completely evaporate.
- And then marvel as the pork starts to render and cook in its own fat (about 30 minutes).
- Flip the pork pieces a few times to make sure it’s evenly browned.
- For tacos, serve the meat on top of corn or flour tortillas along with salsas, avocado, cilantro or any fresh Mexican condiment.
The Cookjena MN
- Not added to any groups yet!