Hungarian Beef Goulash EwFrom otterpond 1 year ago
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, (such as chuck), trimmed and cubed shopping list
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds shopping list
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoons sweet or hot paprika, (or a mixture of the two), preferably Hungarian (see Ingredient Note) shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste shopping list
- 1 large or 2 medium onions, chopped shopping list
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped shopping list
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes shopping list
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth shopping list
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley shopping list
How to make it
- Place beef in a 4-quart or larger slow cooker. Crush caraway seeds with the bottom of a saucepan. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in paprika, salt and pepper. Sprinkle the beef with the spice mixture and toss to coat well. Top with onion and bell pepper.
- Combine tomatoes, broth, Worcestershire sauce and garlic in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer. Pour over the beef and vegetables. Place bay leaves on top. Cover and cook until the beef is very tender, 4 to 4 1/2 hours on high or 7 to 7 1/2 hours on low.
- Discard the bay leaves; skim or blot any visible fat from the surface of the stew. Add the cornstarch mixture to the stew and cook on high, stirring 2 or 3 times, until slightly thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve sprinkled with parsley.
- TIPS & NOTES
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 4 months. | Prep ahead: Trim beef and coat with spice mixture. Prepare vegetables. Combine tomatoes, broth, Worcestershire sauce and garlic. Refrigerate in separate covered containers for up to 1 day.
- Ingredient Note: Paprika specifically labeled as “Hungarian” is worth seeking out for this dish because it delivers a fuller, richer flavor than regular or Spanish paprika. Find it at specialty-foods store or online at HungarianDeli.com and penzeys.com.
- Per serving: 180 calories; 5 g fat ( 2 g sat , 2 g mono ); 48 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 250 mg sodium; 298 mg potassium.
- Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (40% daily value), Vitamin C (35% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv), Iron (15% dv).
- Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
The Cookotterpond Orlando, FL
- Not added to any groups yet!