Red Onion MarmaladeFrom twill10 3 years ago
- Recipe courtesy Billy Zoellin, executive chef of The Golden Bear in Sacramento, CA. shopping list
- red onion Marmalade: shopping list
- 3 large red onions shopping list
- salt shopping list
- 1/2 cup dark balsamic vinegar, divided shopping list
- 1/4 cup sugar shopping list
- Splash water shopping list
- Cut the top and bottom off the onion and peel the skin. Cut vertically straight down through the middle, exposing a crescent moon shape, not rings. Place the onion, cut side down, on the board and slice into julienne. Repeat with all the onions. shopping list
How to make it
- Place the onions into a saucepan and put over a low heat on your stovetop. Sprinkle with a little salt and stir. Cook, stirring occasionally, allowing the onions to sweat out their liquid until they all become translucent (being careful not to caramelize or burn the onions), about 20 minutes. Add in half the balsamic and reduce over low heat until the liquid coats the back of a spoon, 15 to 20 minutes. Reserve.
- In a separate pan over high heat, pour the sugar into the center of the pan and surround with water. Stir the sugar into the water to moisten. Occasionally shake the pan to evenly disperse the heat. Keep a close eye on the sugar-water mixture as the moisture is expelled. First the bubbles will be smaller and more consistent, like syrup. Then the sugar will start to change color as it caramelizes. When it is a light amber color, remove from the heat and stir in the remaining balsamic vinegar until incorporated. Add the caramel sauce to the cooked onions and season with salt. Cool and serve.
The Cooktwill10 Cape Girardeau, MO
- Not added to any groups yet!