Fried Or Oven-baked Tortilla ChipsFrom champagnetime 2 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Stack the tortillas and carefully cut them into six even wedges. Heat oil in a large deep saucepan, about 2” to 3” of oil in the pan is fine, to 360°F.
- Carefully place the chips in the oil. Don’t overlap them, but they do not require much space between them. When you see the edges starting to get dark, or the chip starts puffing up with bubbles, turn them over.
- Cook on the second side for 20 to 30 seconds more. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels, letting excess oil drip back into the pot first. Sprinkle with salt while still warm.
- Keep cooked chips in the warm oven while you fry the remaining chips.
- TO OVEN-BAKE TORTILLA CHIPS:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut tortillas into six pie-shaped wedges. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and place the tortilla chips on the sheet and spray the pieces. Bake 10 minutes; turn over and bake three more minutes. Test a chip to see if it is crispy and snaps, if not, return to the oven and continue baking until all the chips are crisp.
- Source: Black Beans & Corn Cookbook