DenningvleisFrom delsegno 1 year ago
- Ingredients: shopping list
- 1.5-2.0kg lamb shopping list
- 3 large onions (or 5 regular size onions) shopping list
- 50ml oil for frying the onions shopping list
- Marinade: shopping list
- 6-8 big cloves garlic, crushed shopping list
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg shopping list
- 6-8 whole cloves shopping list
- 6-8 whole allspice shopping list
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed shopping list
- 4 bay leaves shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar shopping list
- 20ml sugar (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Trim the fat from the meat, remove the bones and cut the meat into pieces. Wash and drain.
- Roughly chop the onions.
- Combine marinade ingredients, add meat. Marinade the meat for at least one hour.
- Heat a little oil in a heavy based pot and fry onions until golden brown.
- Add the marinated meat to the onions and cook until meat is very tender and juicy. If you have the time, let it simmer on very low heat for a further half hour. If the meat gets too dry add some water.
- Delicious served with yellow rice, mashed potatoes and boiled squash.
- Cook’s tip:
- Soak 50ml tamarind in 100ml water and add to marinade ingredients instead of vinegar or lemon juice.