King Ranch CasseroleFrom twill10 10 months ago
- King Ranch Casserole shopping list
- Thx to Texas Monthly Magazine shopping list
- Ingredients: shopping list
- Serves 10 to 12 shopping list
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 yellow onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped shopping list
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon black pepper shopping list
- 1 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 1/2 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 3 mild green chilies, roasted, peeled (stems and seeds discarded), and diced shopping list
- 1 ten-ounce can Ro-Tel shopping list
- 18 corn tortillas shopping list
- 1 cooked chicken (poached or roasted), meat shredded shopping list
- 1 cup shredded Jack cheese shopping list
- 1 cup shredded cheddar shopping list
How to make it
- Melt the butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the vegetables and sauté on medium-low about 7 minutes. Stir in the chili powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle in flour, 1/2 cup at a time, and stir until the white is no longer visible. Whisk in 3 cups of the stock, 1 cup at a time, until smooth. Whisk in cream and stir in chilies and tomatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with butter. Pour remaining 1/2 cup of stock into a bowl. Stack the tortillas in the bowl, 6 at a time, to moisten, then line the bottom of the pan with the tortillas, making sure they overlap each other by about one third. Cover the tortillas with half the sauce. Add half the chicken and sprinkle with a third of the cheese. Add a second layer of soaked tortillas, the remaining sauce and chicken, and another third of the cheese. Top with the remaining tortillas and cheese.
- Bake for about an hour, until bubbling and lightly browned on top. Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
The Cooktwill10 Cape Girardeau, MO
- Not added to any groups yet!