Basic Lentil SoupFrom twohot 9 months ago
- 1 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 1 medium celery stalk, small dice shopping list
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and small dice shopping list
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, small dice shopping list
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- kosher salt shopping list
- Freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 quart low-sodium vegetable broth shopping list
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes with their juices shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups lentils (any color except red), rinsed shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves shopping list
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar shopping list
- 2 ounces spinach leaves (about 1/2 a bunch) shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until shimmering, about 3 minutes. Add the celery, carrot, and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Season with several generous pinches of salt and pepper.
- Add the broth, tomatoes with their juices, lentils, bay leaf, and thyme and stir to combine. Cover and bring to a simmer, about 15 minutes. Once simmering, reduce the heat to low and continue simmering, covered, until the lentils and vegetables are soft, about 15 minutes more.
- Taste and season with more salt or pepper as needed, then stir in the vinegar. Add the spinach and stir until wilted. If you prefer a creamier texture, purée half of the soup in a blender and add it back to the pot.
The Cooktwohot Montreal, CANDADA
- Not added to any groups yet!