Kim's Beef Picadillo DipFrom champagnetime 3 years ago
- 1 lb. ground beef shopping list
- 28 oz. can stewed or diced tomatoes shopping list
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce shopping list
- 7 oz. jar pimientos shopping list
- 2/3 cup slivered toasted almonds shopping list
- 1/3 cup capers (optional) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes shopping list
- 3 green onions, roughly chopped shopping list
- frito corn chips or tortilla chips shopping list
How to make it
- In a large skillet, brown meat until no pink remains, then add the tomatoes, undrained, tomato sauce, pimientos, almonds, capers, salt, garlic powder, oregano, pepper, red pepper flakes.
- Cook over medium heat 10 minutes; add the green onions and remove from heat. Transfer to a chafing dish or serving bowl and serve with chips.
- Different ways I love to use this dip:
- Serve "Cuban style" over rice and beans
- Cook uncovered until liquid evaporates. Serve over long grain white rice and ripe fried plantains if available.
- Cook uncovered until liquid evaporates; mix with rice and beans and use for a filling for poblano chilies. Top it off with shredded cheese.
- Serve as “Picadillo Tostadas” – Cover tostada shells with refried black beans, top with picadillo mixture and serve with avocado salsa. Garnish with Queso Fresco cheese and cilantro leaves.
- And, for an easy fast dinner, toss with just cooked pasta and top with a little shredded cheese.
- Source: an old friend and a Chef's Journey recipe