Eggplant "bacon"From jo_jo_ba 1 year ago
- 160g eggplant, sliced into ¼” strips and halved (to make “skinny” bacon) shopping list
- 2 tbsp tamari shopping list
- 3 tbsp water shopping list
- ½ tbsp garlic powder shopping list
- ½ tsp maple extract (optional) shopping list
- 2 tbsp vinegar shopping list
- 2 tbsp Stevia in the Raw (or sugar) shopping list
- ½ tsp smoked paprika shopping list
- ½ tbsp black pepper shopping list
- Dash liquid smoke shopping list
How to make it
- Place eggplant strips into a shallow dish.
- Combine tamari, water, garlic powder, maple extract (if using), vinegar, stevia, paprika, pepper and liquid smoke. Pour over the eggplant.
- Stir gently to coat slices evenly, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Dehydrate at 140 degrees F for approximately 8 – 16 hours, or until the slices are crisp.
- Preheat your oven to 200F. Line cookie sheets with parchment or SilPat.
- Place the eggplant strips on the sheets in an even layer and place in the oven.
- Turn and baste with marinade over each hour.
- How long you cook the bacon will depend on how chewy you want the end result 3 ½ - 4 hours is typical.
- Preheat the oven to 250°F and place greased cooling racks on 2-3 rimmed baking sheets.
- Arrange eggplant in a single layer on the racks.
- Bake about 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until eggplant is dry and golden brown.
- Let cool completely before serving. (Eggplant will crisp upon cooling.)
- Store loosely covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.
The Cookjo_jo_ba Oshawa, CA
Cooking For Food Allergies45 members
Fresh Food Cooking119 members
Special NeedsRestricted55 members
Eggless Cooking Egg Substitues50 members
No Sugar Low Sugar Cooking94 members
Garden Harvest90 members
Unusual Combinations82 members
The Art Of Healthy Living58 members
Low Fat And Fabulous110 members