Fanny Farmers Banana Nut BreadFrom heatherbudapest 9 years ago
How to make it
- Mix in a bowl 3 ripe bananas, well mashed, and 2 eggs, beaten until light.
- Sift together 2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon baking soda.
- Add to the first mixture.
- Add 1/2 cup nut meats, chopped.
- Stir well.
- Put in a buttered loaf pan 9 by 5 inches.
- Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (176 Celsius).
- The bread is delicious served warm, with a butter dish nearby. It makes a nice breakfast quick bread or snack. It keeps well for 2-3 days, and is very nice toasted.
- Tip #1: I have substituted homemade applesauce for a portion of the banana puree when I was short on bananas with excellent results.
- Tip #2: If you like especially nutty breads, use one cup instead of 1/2 cup nut meats. I also usually double the nuts (actually, I think I use even more than a cup) because I love walnuts.
- Tip #3: I often have substituted 1 cup or even all but half a cup of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour with delicious results. I tried it with half buckwheat flour this last time, and that worked out nice, too. I tend to add a bit less sugar (about 1/2 a cup, usually) with fine results.
- Tip #4: Some like to add 2 tablespoons melted butter to the batter. I make it without, according to Fanny Farmer's original recipe. It is delicious without the added fat.