Green Tomato PieFrom coffeebean53 6 years ago
- Pastry for double-crust 9-inch pie shopping list
- 2 tablespoons - orange marmalade shopping list
- 1/2 cup - firmly packed light brown sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup - granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup - quick cooking tapioca shopping list
- 1/2 cup - golden raisins shopping list
- 1 tablespoon - grated orange rind shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon - cinnamon shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon - ground ginger shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon - salt shopping list
- 4 medium - green tomatoes, thinly sliced shopping list
- 2 large - cored, peeled, thinly sliced, granny smith apples shopping list
- 2 tablespoons - cold, unsalted butter or margarine, cut in pieces shopping list
- 1 tablespoon - milk shopping list
- additional granulated sugar shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Divide the pastry in half; roll out one half and place in a 9-inch pie plate, leaving about a 1-inch overhang. Brush marmalade evenly over the bottom; set other piece of pastry aside.
- In a small bowl, combine sugars, tapioca, raisins, orange rind, cinnamon, ginger and salt until well combined.
- In prepared crust, layer tomatoes, sugar mixture, apples and a few pieces of butter repeatedly until all ingredients are used. Roll out the remaining pastry and lay it over the filling. Crimp edges together to seal, and make several small slits on top. If desired, brush with milk and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 325° F and bake another 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.