BAKED CRAB PEPPER AND SPINACH FRITTATAFrom grizzlybear 8 years ago
- 1 cup onion -- minced shopping list
- 2 ts garlic -- minced shopping list
- 2 TB olive oil shopping list
- 1 Lb fresh spinach (1 Lg. Bunch) wash, stems removed shopping list
- salt And Freshly ground pepper shopping list
- Freshly Grated nutmeg shopping list
- 2 md red bell peppers shopping list
- 1 TB butter -- softened shopping list
- 6 lg eggs shopping list
- 1 TB Minced fresh herbs shopping list
- 2/3 c Asiago Or parmesan cheese -coarsely grated shopping list
- 8 oz Dungeness crab Meat -- well picked over shopping list
How to make it
- Sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil over moderate heat until soft but not brown. While onions are cooking, blanch the spinach in lightly salted boiling water for a few seconds until wilted. Drain and immediately plunge into ice water to stop the cooking and set the color. Drain again and gently squeeze as much of the moisture as possible out of the spinach with a clean tea towel. Coarsely chop spinach and combine with onion mixture. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Over an open flame or under a broiler, char peppers on all sides. Remove and cover loosely with plastic for a few minutes to sweat and then scrape off charred skin with the point of a knife. Remove and discard seeds and stems and cut peppers into long thick slices.
- Lightly butter or oil a small terrine or loaf pan (8x4x2 1/2 inches) and line the bottom with buttered waxed paper or parchment.
- Beat the eggs briefly together with the herbs and season with salt and pepper. Layer one third of spinach mixture on bottom of pan. Top with 1/3 of roasted red pepper, 1/3 of the cheese and 1/3 of the crab. Pour about a third of the egg mixture over and gently tap pan and poke mixture to evenly distribute eggs.
- Continue layering in this way. Place terrine in a larger baking pan and pour enough hot tap water to come at least 2/3 of the way up the sides of the terrine. Place in a preheated 325 degree oven, cover with parchment or foil and bake in a preheated 325 degree oven until eggs are just set.
- Remove from water bath and let sit 15-20 minutes before unmolding if serving warm.
The Cookgrizzlybear CA
- Not added to any groups yet!