Chocolate cake vegenFrom shirleyoma 7 years ago
- 1 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 cup sugar, divided shopping list
- 1/2 cup Dutch processed cocoa powder, divided shopping list
- 1/2 cup plain soy milk shopping list
- 1/4 cup canola oil shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 1 teaspoon rum extract (or just use 1 more teaspoon vanilla if you don't have rum) shopping list
- 1/2 cup boiling water shopping list
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup shopping list
- 1/4 cup light rum shopping list
How to make it
- Boil some water in a teakettle, preheat oven to 350°F, and grease a 9-inch springform round cake pan.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, 3/4 cup of the sugar, and 1/4 cup of the cocoa. Add the soy milk, oil, and extracts, and mix into a thick batter.
- Spread batter into cake pan. Sprinkle the top with the remaining cocoa and sugar.
- Pour the boiling water into a glass measuring cup, add the maple syrup and rum to the water, and pour this mixture on top of the cake batter.
- Place cake on a cookie sheet in case of pudding overflow and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool just a bit; while the cake is still warm, place it on a large plate (your plate should have a slight edge to prevent spillage).
- Throw on a scoop of vanilla soy ice cream if you like, and you've got yourself one impressive dessert.