Cheese FrittersFrom momofonesofar 7 years ago
- 1/2 cup milk shopping list
- 1 tablespoon oil shopping list
- 1 medium egg shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard shopping list
- 1 cup flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking powder shopping list
- 1 cup shredded cheese shopping list
- oil, shortening, or bacon grease for frying shopping list
How to make it
- In a medium sized bowl combine the milk, oil, egg, salt and mustard. Beat it really well, to mix it all up together. Dump in the flour and baking powder. Mix again until the batter is almost smooth, it will be very thick. Finally, stir in the cheese.
- The batter may now be prepared two different ways. The first method is to deep fry the fritters. Do this by dropping spoonfuls of the batter into a pot of hot oil, at least 360 degrees. They will cook very quickly, needing to be turned over after about a minute and a half of frying. When uniformly brown, scoop them out of the hot fat with a slotted spoon and drain them on paper towels.
- The other method is pan frying, sort of like pancakes. Heat about 2 tablespoons of bacon grease or margarine in a large skillet, over medium high heat. Drop in the fritter batter by large spoonfuls. I usually fry 3 or 4 fritters at a time.