Hainanese ChickenFrom mia 9 years ago
- A whole chicken, preferably not more than 3 lbs, innards removed shopping list
- 5-6 cups chicken broth / 2 bouillon cubes and 6 cups water shopping list
- 1 ginger root, 2/3 sliced thinly, 1/3 chopped very finely shopping list
- 4-8 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 1 1/2c rice shopping list
- sesame oil shopping list
- soy sauce shopping list
- vinegar shopping list
- chili oil / dried chilies shopping list
- chicken fat oil some cooking oil shopping list
- cucumbers, green papayas shopping list
How to make it
- For chicken: Trim off fat and skin from the neck and back/buttocks part of the chicken, keep for later. Remove innards.
- Place entire chicken in a pot and cover with water / broth. Add 1-2 bouillon cubes (if using water), some sliced ginger (about 1/3 cup) , 4-8 garlic cloves, some salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and keep at boil for 10min.
- Turn off the stove and leave in hot water for 45-60 min. Take out of water, cover to keep warm.
- For rice: Render the chicken fat in a pot. Add about 1/4c sliced ginger and some garlic, toast a bit.
- Add rice (I use 1 1/2 cups for 4 people) and toast in oil until rice grains become transparent.
- Add chicken broth (from the boiled chicken, use 1.5 times the amount of rice you placed).
- Now you either cook this in a rice cooker or on a stove, your choice — just cook like rice from this point on.
- For the sauce: In a bowl mix the ginger, some soy sauce, some vinegar, some sesame oil, and some chicken broth. General ratio for the 4 items is 3:3:2:2 Add some chopped chives if you want. Drizzle with chili oil or drop in some dried chili flakes, or use both the oil and the flakes.
- Some siding suggestions: You can boil some green papaya in the chicken broth until they’re cooked but firm.
- Thinly slice a cucumber and add vinegar, salt, and pepper, and maybe some sugar
- Mush up or grate some ginger, and add some chicken broth and sesame oil.
The Cookmia San Francisco, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!