crab apple chutneyFrom deemum 9 years ago
- 2kg mix of crab and cooking apples (whatever you have) peeled, cored and chopped into little cubes. shopping list
- 450g brown sugar shopping list
- 2 onions shopping list
- 4tsp tumeric shopping list
- approx 20 cloves shopping list
- 500ml cider vinegar shopping list
- 2 tsp chilli powder shopping list
- 2tsp salt shopping list
- 10cm ginger shopping list
How to make it
- place the apples in a heavy based saucepan ( i use enamel cast iron) stir in all other ingredients, cover and bring to the boil.
- reduce heat to low and stir chutney, be sure it doesnt stick.
- cook uncovered for about 1 hr to 90 mins, depending on size of cubes, cooking apples will fall apart, crab apples wont. stir regularly, it will reduce and thicken.
- leave to cool completly then pour into sterilised jars and label.
- will give approx 12 220ml jars. keeps for up to 6 months, tastes at its best after first month.